Health News Digest article…Health News Digest article on prescription drug abuse and memory loss featuring Novus Detox. Read… Learn more.
Novus Medical Detox Presents Medical Detox Methodology at Psychiatry & Psychology Conference
Novus Medical Detox Facility of Pasco County, Florida presented a program on the detox methodology of successful medical detox from drugs and alcohol at the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology (ICSPP), a group that is composed of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and other interested parties. ICSPP members strongly disagree with the “medical model” vigorously advocated by the drug companies and many in the medical community for the treatment of depression and troubled children.
“Prescription drug addiction is a big problem.” said Novus Medical Detox Director. “Increasingly we see psychiatric drug involvement, either as the substance of current addiction or as ‘gateway’ drug leading to subsequent abuse of other pharmaceutical products. We appreciate ICSPP’s efforts to address this common patient outcome and appreciate even more all that it is doing to prevent the problem at its source.”
Speakers at the conference included Dr. Peter Breggin, founder of ICSSP, Robert Whitaker, author of MAD IN AMERICA, and Dr. Toby Tyler Watson who presented an extensive review of the medical literature discussing psychoactive drugs. Dr. Watson made clear that the actual data behind psychiatric pharmacology is not what the media or public relations departments of pharmaceutical companies would have you believe. His talk included the following data:
- In 1998, the National Institutes of Health reported “…there are no data to indicate that ADHD is due to brain malfunction.” And “…the same can be said for “most psychiatric disorders, including disabling diseases such as schizophrenia.”
- “The strong, clear, and direct causal relationship implied by the concept of ‘a gene for …’ does not exist for psychiatric disorders. Although we may wish it to be true, we do not have and are not likely to ever discover ‘genes for’ psychiatric illness.” (Kendler, K. S. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2005)
- “Absolutely No pathophysiological evidence for any so called mental illness.” (Dr. Andreasen, Brave New Brain 2004)
- Neuroscientists at Open University in the United Kingdom concluded that 5HT (serotonin) levels in clinically depressed psychiatric patients do not differ from the nursing staff members. (Rose, The Future of the Brain: The Promise and Perils of Tomorrow’s Neuroscience 2005)
- Eli Lilly, the manufacturer, claims that thousands of people received Prozac in controlled clinical trials. In actuality, because of the huge number of patients that were unable or unwilling to complete the study due to negative side effects, there were far fewer. FDA material, derived via the Freedom of Information Act, shows that up to 50 percent of the patients dropped out of the studies because of serious side effects. Dr. Breggin reports and has testified that in the final analysis, only 286 people were used as a basis for Prozac’s approval. Eli Lilly has never challenged this.
- “We have been lying to everyone for 40 years concerning the chemical imbalance model.” (Wirshing, Lecture entitled The schizophrenic patient: profiles, diagnosis and treatment presented at Loma Linda University, Loma Linda CA 1999)
For those who were not fortunate enough to avoid the trap of prescription drugs, there is medical drug detox. While many medical detox programs take place in a hospital, Novus Medical Detox Center specializes in handling drug dependencies in a private setting that is stress-free, comfortable and safe. The facility, set on 3.2 wooded acres 45 minutes north of Tampa, FL, offers private rooms, TV and high speed internet access. Novus provides detox services for people wishing to withdraw from drugs including opiate detox, heroin detox, psychotropic detox, alcohol detox, benzodiazepine detox and prescription drug detox. They can be reached at.
Recent Blog Articles
Will Delaware's New Attac…(Novus reports to professionals in the treatment industry to help support the help needed to handle the epidemic of addiction in the US.) Delaware… Learn more.
Babies Of Drinking Mothers Twi…The incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) spikes by 33 percent on New Year’s Day — the day that millions of Americans spend… Learn more.
Find Out If Your Insurance Will Pay
- Assessment: Do I Need Detox or Rehab?
- What is Detox?
- How Long Will It Take?
- What Will It Cost?
- Symptoms of Withdrawal
- Our Facility
- Contact Us