Florida Governor Refuses $1 Mi…Purdue Pharma, maker of the notorious narcotic painkiller OxyContin, has offered $1 million to the state of Florida to help launch the… Learn more.
Methadone Withdrawal Symptoms
Methadone Withdrawal Symptoms
Methadone withdrawal symptoms can be the most severe of any drug. The physical symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, tremors, with an elevated pain sensitivity and rapid heartbeat. The psychological symptoms include delirium, hallucinations, panic, depression and thoughts of suicide.
Full List of Methadone Withdrawal Symptoms
- Runny nose
- Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
- Aches and pains, often in
the joints and/or legs
- Elevated pain sensitivity
- Elevated blood pressure
- Thoughts of suicide
- Adrenal exhaustion
- Adrenal fatigue
- Prolonged insomnia
- Auditory hallucinations
- Visual hallucinations
- Increased perception of odors, real or imagined
- Marked decrease in sex drive
Why Methadone Withdrawal Has Such Effects
The long-term use of methadone causes adaptations within the body that lessen the effect of the drug over time. This is known as “drug tolerance.” Drug tolerance can require ever-increasing doses of methadone to prevent painful methadone withdrawal symptoms.
However, when the methadone dose is increased, the negative effects on the body caused by methadone are increased. These can include:
- Dulling of emotions
- Inability to get refreshing sleep
- Blacking out at times
- Loss of sex drive and interest
- “Cloudy” thinking
- Slower reaction time and increased likelihood of accidents
- Dehydration and inability to properly nourish the body
Methadone also depletes the body of nutrients, amino acids and minerals which contribute to the list of withdrawal symptoms.
Painful and exhausting methadone withdrawal symptoms are the primary reason that most people can not complete withdrawal on their own or even through a methadone clinic.
Methadone Withdrawal at Novus Medical Detox Center
After 10 years of helping thousands of people withdraw from methadone, we have a true understanding of the devastating effects of methadone on the body. We know how to make withdrawal comfortable and not difficult, from even the highest dosages.
Understand more about methadone withdrawal
We treat our patients with our unique individualized protocols, our proprietary compounded medications, natural supplements and IV treatments to replenish and restore them to health in a nurturing, spa-like environment.
Re-imagine your future drug-free.
More Facts About Methadone
- Methadone is a narcotic like other opiates and opioids such as:
- Methadone is one of the most highly addictive drugs.
- Users of methadone, like users of other opioids or opiates, become either dependent on or addicted to the drug.
- Users of methadone, like users of other opioids or opiates, become deficient in essential vitamins and minerals which adds to the misery of withdrawal.
- If someone is dependent on methadone, they will experience serious and painful withdrawal symptoms if they just stop taking methadone.
- Most methadone users continue taking the drug not because they get “high” but because they don’t want to experience these painful withdrawal symptoms.
- If someone is addicted to methadone, they will have painful withdrawal symptoms but will also crave the drug because of the way methadone makes them feel.
- Methadone withdrawal pain has been compared to the worst case of the flu, only ten times worse than that.
- Almost no one is able to complete a methadone withdrawal on their own or at a methadone clinic.
- Many methadone users have given up on ever being able to withdraw from methadone. This article explains why.
- Taking methadone for pain can kill you.
Recent Blog Articles
Choose a Drug Detox Procedure …Two doctors had their licenses suspended last November following the deaths of two patients to whom they administered rapid detox procedures. The… Learn more.
Antipsychotic Drugs Pose Serio…Novus Medical Detox Facility of Pasco County, Florida Director urged parents to be vigilant in monitoring drugs prescribed for childhood behavior… Learn more.
- More About Methadone Recovery
- Dangers of Methadone for Pain
- Methadone Effects
- Withdrawal Symptoms
- More on Methadone Find Out If Your Insurance Will Pay
- Assessment: Do I Need Detox or Rehab?
- What is Detox?
- How Long Will It Take?
- What Will It Cost?
- Symptoms of Withdrawal
- Our Facility
- Contact Us